Saturday, January 4, 2014

Travel Beauty Staples '14: January

So even before I start this post, I must apologise for a lapse in memory - I totally forgot mascara.

What a rookie error. My bad.

"Seriously, Michelle?!" you may be thinking.

Seriously.

I apologise.

With that aside, I decided to make a post about the most important products I'd take when travelling. Maybe because I'm going to Sydney.. TOMORROW. Goodness gracious, time has passed.

Obviously this is not everything that I'd take on a plane (I've left out accessories - brushes being the most important, followed by nightly skincare), but if there were only a few things I could take travelling with me, this is what I would pack.

Plus the mascara.

In my defence, I probably (at least subconsciously) left it out because I haven't found a mascara that I love.

My justification suffices.

Here we go.

*Disclaimer: this is a post on the general products I would take, rather than reviews on each, because I am both lazy and tired.. and it would take much too long.


1. Shiseido Perfect UV Protector SPF 50+ PA+++ Very Water Resistant Sunscreen


I don't think I can stress the importance of sunscreen enough.

I apply this baby under primer (if I were desperate enough for time I could use this as a primer on its own) and it gives me excellent sun protection for the entire day.

If you're going to wear makeup over the top of it, make sure the sunscreen isn't thick.. you don't want to feel like a cream cake whose make up is going to melt off. Summer is a killer.

Believe me when I say this sunscreen is like milk. It has a beautiful finish and smells slightly medicinal.

I bought this for about $45 (around VND 800,000 at the time) at Parkson Department Centre.

2. La Roche-Posay Melt-In SPF 50 PA+++ BB Cream


When I'm having a lazy day, I will just slap on some BB cream. I have been very pleasantly impressed with the LRP BB cream - it's thin, dries slightly matte and isn't oily.

Let's just make a notable mention to its SPF 50 status AND it's infused with the thermal water (which is absolutely lush, by the way).

This BB cream is fabulous. It's certainly not any compensation for foundation (the coverage is quite sheer), but I love it nonetheless.

I would say this is one of the more expensive drugstore BB creams.

Damn the French.

I actually bought this today for AUD $28.75 at a Terry White Chemist.

3. Banila Co Classic Prime Primer


An absolute must for increasing the lasting power of foundation. It also protects your face by acting as a barrier between the bacteria-laden foundation and the precious skin.

Oh, and I must mention that it smooths out the skin for an almost perfectly smooth canvas for you to apply foundation. One may almost say that it primes the face.

I asked my Fi to get this for me when she went to Korea. There are a couple of Banila Co stores in Seoul (one in Meongdong and another in Hongdae.. and probably a billion others that I didn't visit). From memory it was about AUD $18.

4. NARS Sheer Glow Foundation in Punjab


I don't think I even need a reason to include foundation in this post.

Basically if you have blotchy, dull, unflattering skin (like I do!), foundation becomes your best friend.

I bought this from Nordstrom when I went to the States last year for USD $42 at the time (equates to ~AUD $50 with tax, so it's quite pricey). It's gone up to $44 since then. Actually, I'd never heard of NARS before and I was only very vaguely familiar with MAC. I can't believe how little I knew back then.

5. MAC Prep + Prime Translucent Pressed Powder


I loved the texture but hated the lack of practicality with the loose powder, so I asked mum to buy this for me when she went to the States/Canada in the middle of last year for USD $25. Apologies for the grossness of the powder container.

Unlike for humans, black is a terribly unflattering colour for objects.

Powder is great for 3 things: making foundation last longer, giving a nice matte finish and oil control.

The second is probably my favourite reason.

6. Lioele Eyebrow Products (Cake Powder + Auto-eyebrow Pencil)


So far, my two favourite eyebrow products. Cheap, good quality and with nice packaging.

Read my review here.

I bought these two on eBay for about $15-20 all up.

7. NARS Powder Blush in Gilda


The best blush.

Ever.

Coral. Highly pigmented. NOT glittery at all (completely matte). Great colour pay-off. Warm.

My HG blush.

This was the other of my purchase at Nordstrom with the foundation. I think it cost USD $24 at the time (Sephora says $28 but I distinctly remember it was on that much). I guess it holds some sentimentality because they were my first NARS products.

8. Rimmel Match Perfection 2-in-1 Concealer & Highlighter in 040 Soft Beige


This product is brilliant.

I bought it on a whim at a 50% off Rimmel sale at Priceline and I haven't looked back since. It was something like $6.

I love it.

I use it as a brow highlighter, undereye concealer/corrector (it has some very slightly pink hues, which are perfect for dark circles) and concealing little red spots.

9. Urban Decay 24/7 Concealer Pencil in FBI


This concealer has a beautiful creamy consistency, and has a higher coverage than the Rimmel concealer. There are no pink hues and it matches my foundation exactly.

I wish I had a sharpener though. It's going to be annoying waiting on mine to arrive.

Cue the fist shaking.

I bought this from LookFantastic for £12.

10. e.l.f. Matte Bronzer Healthy Glow Powder


I wanted a bronzer that was cheap and this one came up.

A week and $4.50 later and I had integrated it into my everyday routine.

A tiny amount of shimmer, but nothing too worrying.

Bought from eBay for about AUD $4.50 (I can't find the exact seller anymore, sorry!).

11. NYX Mosaic Powder in Highlighter


I prefer powder highlighting products to liquid ones. I'm still trying to get used to this, but I love it. Sometimes I get a little too carried away and end up looking like chalk dust.

It's brilliant as a cheek highlighter, especially for beginners.

I bought this from eBay as well - again, can't remember the exact seller. From memory it was around $8.

12. Nuxe Rêve de Miel Lip Balm


I can't and will never get enough of this stuff.

It's a little pricey, but so worth it.

It smells great, works amazingly and makes me wake up with billion dollar lips.

Seriously.

Purchased from Priceline for $11.99 (originally $19.99).

13. YSL Pur Couture Lipstick in Le Orange (#13)


This is my #1 travel lipstick of the month.

It's orange enough for me to be able to wear during the day, but red enough for an evening.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the perfect day-to-night lipstick.

When I travel, I can't afford to indulge in a hundred different lipsticks. One will do.

Don't let me get started on the texture. The formula is creamy and glides onto my lips. It's well-pigmented and has a lightly sweet, slightly fruity scent. No feathering and lasts a good 6 hours.

The packaging is a bit cheap for a high-end lipstick, but that's not of much significance. I'm absolutely loving this one.

I bought this on a whim from Singapore Changi Airport for SGD $35, which is about AUD $31. This is in a wonderful world where YSL is cheaper than MAC in Australia.. wait, what?

14. Bioderma Sebium Mat Anti-Shine Fluid


I love this stuff. I got it during the 40% off skincare sale at Priceline, so about $17 (usually $29).

As a daily moisturiser it's fantastic. It isn't oily at all (because it's a mattifying moisturiser, duh).

I don't think it would suffice as a night cream but that's not part of this post.

And last, but not least, I will take brushes.


And after a year, I have decided on my favourites, which are the ones I will take with me travelling.

  • Foundation - MAC 190 (for application), Sigma F84 (for buffing/blending)
  • Concealer - Sigma F70
  • Powder - Sigma F30 and the RMK Powder brush
  • Eyebrow - a cheap one I got in some set idk
  • Eyeshadow - Sigma E60 for packing, Sigma E40/MAC 217 for blending - I use a random one for the crease
  • Contour - MAC 168/Sigma F40 and sometimes the Sigma F25
  • Highlight - Sigma F35
  • Blush - Bobbi Brown Blush/RMK Cheek/Cheek S
  • Kabuki - MAC 182
I didn't include skin or haircare because I wanted to restrict it to beauty.

So now you know what's in my travelling kit.

Lots of love! x

No comments:

Post a Comment