Tuesday, January 29, 2013

USA Part 6: Miami

Lately, I've been tapping into the Asian side of me. It remained hidden for quite some time because we are the minority where I study. I've been listening to #TBT music this entire holidays. It was probably somewhat fuelled by my trip to Korea. Man, Korea is an inspiring place. You just want to forget that you speak English and dive into the indulgent cheap, yet amazingly high quality holiday you deserve. I don't know how to say it in Korean, but just think of any compliment and it'll be fitting. I promise.

Before I proceed, I think I should pay my respects. Too many young lives have been taken away. The future of our world resides in these people, and I cannot empathise enough with those who have lost loved ones recently. I think the word I'd use to describe this feeling is numbing. The inertia is incredible; overwhelming. Lost for words. Stuck in the past. Immense disbelief. It's unfathomable unless you've gone through loss yourself. Once is terrible enough, but.. I couldn't even believe that it had happened twice to me. It's almost been a year. Still numbing. Still in disbelief. Denial. For the sake of everybody around you, I truly wish that you are in peace.

It's hard to transition from melancholy back to reality.

I guess it's worth a shot.

If you haven't noticed already, I changed my layout a little. I decided that there was just too much text and scrolling, so I'm now in the process of truncating what you can see on the home page. I also redid the icon! I think it looks a lot neater, because I remembered that I could change the size of the image through HTML, instead of doing it the hard way and resizing it manually. Of course I'd find the hard way. Of course.

Off topic. Sorry.

Miami. The land where Winter is still surf weather. This is, of course, a stark comparison to the negative, frozen body-causing Seoul Winter. It's beautiful. I don't know what else there is to say about it. Honestly, we were only here for 3 days.

Actually, we drove to Miami from Fort Lauderdale, straight after disembarking the ship. It was a hectic process and I was exhausted. I think we all were. A break was severely required, so we drove to Hollywood in Florida. I'd never heard of it, but it had a beautiful beach with an even lovelier broadwalk.



It took about an hour to drive to Miami from Fort Lauderdale. We stayed about 10 minutes away from the airport and my brother drove us around the city. There was a huge shopping complex called Dolphin Mall. "Wow" is the only adjective I can think of. Seriously.







A few points regarding Miami:
  • I went to my first Walmart! It was an amazing experience. I actually cannot believe how cheap everything is! If anyone uses Organix shampoo and conditioner, it's literally about $20 a bottle. At Walmart, it's $5. Unbelievable.
  • Roads in Miami are hectic. We had a GPS and we still sort of got lost. The maps aren't up to date because there's so much construction. Too many choices. Way too confusing.
  • Miami is beautiful. I have no complaints about the weather.
  • We were at Dolphin Mall for a good 7 hours and still didn't get through all of it.
I just have a few words to sum this all up.

Miami is freaking awesome. If I had more time, I would have gone to Florida Mall. As much as I enjoy walking around to enjoy the scenery, Florida Mall had Nordstrom, Urban Outfitters, Sephora and all that Jazz. I'm totally addicted to shopping and I'm embracing it. Not really. Every day is a struggle to save. Seriously.

Lots of love! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment