Sunday, January 27, 2013

USA Part 5: Oasis of the Seas

It's that time of night again. You know, the time when I really should be sleeping but posting is ever so tempting.

I hope you're not getting sick of reading about my travels.

It's getting a little.. redundant, having to write about everything. I guess it would help if I weren't going out so often to see people, leaving things like this to the late hours of the night, or the early hours of the morning; whichever you prefer.

It may seem clear that my mother was a little ambitious whilst planning this trip. She had good intentions. I haven't been overseas since I visited Vietnam, Singapore and Cambodia at the end of 2009/beginning of 2010. To me, that's quite a while, considering I do travel frequently.

Oasis of the Seas is a cruise ship owned by a line called Royal Caribbean. It's roughly twice the size of the Titanic - 100 000 tonnes. An accurate description? Think opulence. Think luxury. Think.. big.

Opulence. I like that word - mot juste.

My family and I took a cruise around the Caribbean Islands. Fitting, no?

I want to introduce you to this baby. Never have I been on a ship so big. Well, obviously.. it's the biggest ship in the world. Duh, Michelle.

















I don't know where to begin telling you about this cruise. What can I say? The quality of service was unparalleled. Rooms were cleaned twice a day, with the added extra of the room attendant knowing everyone's name. His name was Ryan. Talk about personal service. It was a little unnerving at first, because I decided to take a short nap on the first day when Ryan dropped off his business card. Being in a dazed state, you have no awareness of your actions and I must have (gracefully, of course) swept it behind the bed.

I had no idea what his name was for a good 7 days. The entire cruise went for 8. I was quite sure his name was Ryan, but honestly, I wasn't game enough to try it. My level of smoothness isn't up to par with Paul Wesley. So much smooth. So much sexy. As a result, I was constantly en garde around my room. I scurried to and from meals, and stayed in the room as much as possible. Doing nothing is more tiring than it looks. Believe me. Ryan was a sweetie though. Look at the towel pet he made me.



How can you not love elephants after this? And no, I did not place my sunglasses on the elephant. He did.

I shall name him Squishy.

I stayed inside my room so much. There was a channel on the TV playing Barbie movies. I think my heaven was found from the point onwards. I watched Barbie play a mermaid, one where she sang an awful lot, and in the last one, she was a fairy. I don't know how she does it. Isn't it tiring having to change jobs so frequently? Oh Barbie, you're so talented. I'll never understand your wonderment.

Besides sailing across the seven seas, we visited Haiti, Jamaica and Mexico. It was fantastico. I sunbathed for hours, visited a waterfall and went snorkelling. It was awesome. If there's one thing I regret, it's that I didn't go to Chichen Itza (it sounds like "chicken pizza", no?) when I was in Mexico. One of the Natural Wonders of the World and I passed it up. Impossible.














The cruise was perfection, except the food could have been a little fresher at times. However, I'm not one to complain. We had 2 lovely waiters - Rachelle and John. Their service was.. how do you say, par excellence. The Most Popular Girls in School reference, anyone?

For once, I didn't get seasick. Not. Once. I may have had more to add but in my current state, I don't think even rewiring my brain will make me more alert. Not this time. I think my expiry time for the day has far passed. Lots of love! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment